Targeting Your Audience for Successful Screenwriting


Who is this movie for?

I can't tell you how many times I, Barton Bukowski, get asked that question.

Over and over and over again.

Oh that damn question! Who is the movie for?

I like to get really specific when I answer that question.

For example:

"The movie I'm writing is for a 47 year old retired glassblower named Michele who lives in the Burgundy region of France."

Perfect answer. Who can argue with that?

Or

"This movie is for my 98-year-old Great Aunt Sally who lives in a nursing home."

That way, you can tailor your script for your audience.

For instance, if you are writing the script for MICHELE, you can make sure to include lots of references to Napoleonic Wars and people eating frogs. Also make sure to include for fun explanations of the history of glass blowing techniques.

You can customize your theme by using this rich detail: you might play with the dramatic tension between the traditional way to blow glass and the factory way.

Or if you choose to write your screenplay for SALLY, every sentence should include the world "Sally" because that is basically the only word that my Great Aunt seems to recognize.

Tou might call one of your characters Sally. Or call them all Sally. That is sure to hold her interest.

Some sample dialogue might read:

SALLY
Oh, hi, SALLY. I'm SALLY. And I was just talking to another person named SALLY.

SALLY #2
That's great SALLY. SALLY is also my dog's name. Come here SALLY. Come, SALLY.
(whistles)
SALLY. Here girl. SALLY SALLY SALLY.

(Note: This dialogue is registered WGA/w so you'll need to write your own.)

See how well it works to tailor your script for your audience?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The successful pitch: Establishing an emotional connection

3 KEYS TO THE SUCCESSFUL HOLLYWOOD PITCH: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE

Successfully selling your screenplay via "bundling"