How To Take Criticism Successfully

Filmmaking is a collaborative art, and screenwriters are constantly having to take criticism.

Often the very people who give us dumb notes criticize us for implementing them. In other words, we do their idiot notes, and when the result is bad, they blame us not themselves.

It's hard to sit there with a bright eager smile at those times.

It may help to invent a "code" that lets you express your justifiable anger in a constructive way.

Here's my personal code in case it helps. I, Barton Bukowski, use this in development meetings.

When I say "Interesting idea" it really means "That is the single dumbest idea in the history of humanity after syphilis"

"Now that's food for thought" means "I would rather remove my own tonsils with pliers than put that idea in the script"

"Cool" = "Crap"

"No problem I can do that" means "Implementing your notes is a physical impossibility on the order of reversing time"

"Let me think about that one" means "curse and pox on your soul."

"Is there a bathroom I can use?" means "Your ideas are so dumb, I need to throw up, now."

Remember, even studio executives (so far) don't have a method of seeing inside your brain.

"I think writing this would be fun to write" means "I need money so badly I will write anything to get it including my own obituary."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 KEYS TO THE SUCCESSFUL HOLLYWOOD PITCH: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE

The successful pitch: Establishing an emotional connection

SELLING YOUR DRAMA AS A COMEDY